! Joel Grueberman: my latest drama

Saturday, May 27, 2006

my latest drama

My roomie has an ex-wife and three kids. I met the ex and his daughter this week after a 16 hour day at work. They came to unanounced while I was watching the hockey game on Thursday. The daughter wanted her bikes cause she and friend wanted to go to Banff for the long weekend. Well I guess the needed a bigger car so the ex-wife brought her Explorer. Because they came unannounced my roomie was out at work. And the bikes are all chained up, there's just a environment of paranoia and mistrust going on. Anyway, they left to "call and get the keys" I waited for about an hour for them to come back and then I left to get groceries. When I came back they (the ex and the kid) were waiting in the parking lot. The ex asked what I'd been up to and if I wanted her to call the cops. I was a bit surprised that this formerly sweet person was now snapping at me. It turns out the cause of this Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde transformation related to the chain that was now on the door. Which she thought that I had done up. The truth is that my roomie having been alerted to the presence of his family raced home from work and locked the chain. Then as I stood in the hallway, with the daughter and lawful owner of the bikes, he calls me and tells me not to let her in. So I explain his wishes and suggest a compromise, she accepts this or so I thought and I go down to the laundry to locate the key that is taped to the back of a washing machine. I get in and make a bit of supper and watch the highlights of the game.
Then I get ready for bed and notice from the window that the explorer is still in the parking lot. I decide that I'll lock the chain and leave a note on the door for the roomie who comes home at 3am. As I go out to put the note on the door there stands the daughter and a constable Jason Macdonald, from Stratford, PEI. Well he's a bit late coming into the story an so needs to be brought up to speed. He asks me to let her in and take her stuff , but there's still the matter of the chain. No problem as they've bought a bolt cutter, problem: thats not legal cause she doesn't own the chain. Anyway, I meantioned to the officer that she had a set of keys and he asks her to give me the keys, she tries to change the subject but I eventually get them. Which probably would not have happened without the Constable standing there. Anyway, about 1130 I get to bed and its 5 when I get up and drive out to work a little bleary eyed and not sure what's gone on was real or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home