! Joel Grueberman: A word of caution

Friday, August 18, 2006

A word of caution


Be careful. Be critical if someone who doesn't do it, tells you you'd be good at it. For obvious reasons. How old is Ed McMahon? He was older than dirt when I was a kid. Now I'm old. It hurts when I get up. And he is still shakin his money maker. Selling tubs...
Does anyone think that the little Cindy girl on the Dairy Queen commercials is evil?
See this is what you get when you ask for too much, too soon.
Just how many people read this blog anyway?
So I'm working on my attempt at the Nanowrimo (google it) , but I've kind of stalled. Anyway, this is an invitation to people to take a look at the idea and see if there is a story lurking inside them. So this is the beginning of 2 months of crazy hours and long days. Days that turn into weeks and loss of any kind of normal sleeping pattern.
If I'm not interested in doing this kind of work, why don't I quit? Is there such a thing as loyalty or is just being afraid to make waves?
So does anyone want to take a shot at what I would be good at? Don't worry I won't be overly critical... you might just make it into my novel...

I'm curious if you read this.. leave a comment. Any comment. Some kind of literal Inukshuk. So this person will know you were here.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Raabs said...

Nanowrimo sounds great! I tried something like this at the beginning of the month. We had to write 250 words a day based on a prompt. At the end of 10 days you had a 2500 word short story. I think I will try this (the site I was using closed down for some reason). I liked the pressure - really made it possible to write.

But back to what is important - who is the Cindy girl in the Dairy Queen commercials and why is she evil (this is important for my cultural education).

But even more important - keep working with people! You are infectious when you are funny AND when you are serious. Let it be so!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Joel Muller said...

well actually she's not cindy. but I think she is evil.. I'll look for a link.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Joel Muller said...

http://paperlondon.blogspot.com/

I actually found someone who is seriously annoyed by that comercial. I was only stunned by the child's acting ability. He translation of an evil little mind-controlling girl is creepy.

Still looking for the video.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Joel Muller said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZdYxBz-lQ

not the right one but funny

5:27 PM  
Blogger Jeanine :) said...

Hi Joel,
This is your sister in law, Jeanine. I didn't actually read your entire blog, but I skimmed it and my favorite part was when you talked about Dairy Queen cause they make yummy ice cream desserts. I also caught the bit at the end about writing a comment if I read it so, what can I say, I felt compelled!
Love you bro!
-Jeanine :)
PS check out my blog at j9muller.blogspot.com

12:38 PM  
Blogger thegermanygirl said...

Um, here's my Inukshuk, I guess, although I don't know what that is, so I hope it's nothing bad.

Good for you! You are the Nano-ing MAN!!! I've worked on mine a couple of times this year, and even filled in some gaps and plot-holes....but nothing significant lately. I am a Nano-ing wuss.

Hey, but I put marauders in my novel at your request, so you've gotta put me in yours. It's only fair, after all.

Will you give me better hair though? I'd like something that doesn't have to be permed, please.

And a pony.




And maybe a vacation home on Hawaii.


Thanks.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Roy said...

Roy Was here

8:45 PM  
Blogger thegermanygirl said...

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a message for you on my blog.





Oh, and may I please have Charlize Theron's figure while you're at it? Thanks.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home