! Joel Grueberman: just the facts

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

just the facts


So I find it difficult to believe in the information age that the definition of an unknown word could remain a mystery. I harken, as only an old person can, to the days before the internet (no not the military internet, the internet that we the masses use. Like at least pre-1996. ) Anyway, I digress, in the time before google, (circa 199- b.g.) a person (older) might be heard to remark when asked for the definition of a word... "Look it up?"as they slid a massive red webster's collegiate edition in your (younger) direction with a slightly devilish grin.

But I will save you the trouble. An Inukshuk

By the way, Jennifer. Inukshuk is neither verb nor as you have requested of me is it reflexive. Although ideas of how it might be well thats the magic of open forums eh?

Given the general ignorance to the actual etymology of Inukshuk... I think, we have stumbled upon a breakthrough. A cultural gap that is being bridged. I find the fact that both of the people who have scratched their heads in wonder at this inocuous idiom are both American, of no importance whatsoever. Seriously...

If you find that offensive, I refer you to my mother's love.."oh, blow it out your ear!" Try it. It hurts.

There how's that for edgy?

2 Comments:

Blogger thegermanygirl said...

Wow. I feel appropriately massive-red-webster's-collegiate-editioned. However, having no experience of Canada beyond the time I've spent with you, I feel no shame in being an American ignorant of the complex facets of inukshuk (shouldn't that be "inuksuk"?), so don't even try it with your little guilt trip! ;o)

What *I* find difficult to believe is that, in this, the Information Age, a person could wonder aloud as to the age of a certain Mr. McMahon, when that piece of information, like the definition of "inuksuk," is readily available--just a click or two away, as it were. *grin*

Very edgy, Joel. Well done. ;oD

P.S. In Jennifer's defense, I refer you to Courtney's Rule for Living #152, which states:

"Verbify anything."

1:14 AM  
Blogger The Raabs said...

So an inukshuk is kinda like an ebenezer - except it ain't because you don't do it yourself - but you do use it to navigate - either spiritually or physically - right??

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home