! Joel Grueberman: Things I like

Monday, September 04, 2006

Things I like




Aside from the obvious like whiskers on kittens. I do like some things. Despite the fact that I tend to dislike my job and who doesn't from time to time. I love the smell of disturbed earth. The machine that I run at work makes holes in the ground and creates channels for drainage or removes thatch that allows water and nutrients and all that good stuff in. Either way, the earth is disturbed by 50 or so HP/PS of jackhammering mechanical authority, which by the way only disturbs at the most the top 12 inches of the earth. (I was told about a drilling project that created a single well head 35 kilometers deep in the Gulf of Mexico) In the great scheme of things we have barely scratched the surface, though we talk about it like we've moved mountains.
Well all this banging away releases gases and vapors that have a marvelous aroma. Smells as you know trigger memory and this evenings memory, as I carved through a wet spot in the low angle light of a prairie harvest sunset, transported my mind to the subway/tram stop at the SportPalais in Antwerp, Belgium. Of course that triggered other memories and since this is Belgium we're talking about, I began to be hungry for a packet of fresh fries and Stoovlees with mayo and 6 minutes removed from my life. But of course thats 6 minutes on the end and from what I've heard no big loss. So thats a slice of my life for the blog...

I have to plug a radio station that is also a fav: http://www.ckua.org/

Satan might be in your face, but God is everywhere.

3 Comments:

Blogger John, Angie and the kiddos said...

Nice Joel.

Very Positive.

*Snicker

John

P.S. When are you buying me coffee this week?

8:31 AM  
Blogger thegermanygirl said...

I like whiskers on kittens. Although I have to say that bright copper kettles have never held a particular attraction for me.

Nice audio, by the way, Herr Grueberman. ;o) I bet drilling holes in a field at sunset is a great way to meditate on the neverending path of life.

;oD

1:21 AM  
Blogger The Raabs said...

Yeah, but frieten en mayo will really get you on the way to the meaning of life!
Glad you were ruminating on the important things while verticulating!

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home