! Joel Grueberman: Cyber Chic Baby

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Cyber Chic Baby

So I'm sitting here in one of those places that let kids come in an play ultra violent video games. I'm not playing one of those games, video games and I kinda parted ways after mario got silly.

Anyway, I realize the world has changed because the little blond headed kid beside me is playing some fantasy game where you go around collecting points after kicking the imaginary crap out of wizards and demons. He's listening to an eclectic mix of cop-killer rap and swearing at the computer.

Somebody asks you if you want to have kids someday. Sheesh.

Anyway, some might be wondering what the audio clip is. 2theJohn asked me why my name on here is Greuberman. The answer is that Ed in Chemnitz and I used to call each other names. If you listen to the whole thing it becomes clear. But if one of us said something definitive the other might muse "Oh, Ed Greuberman..." or "Oh, Joel Greuberman..." Oh inside jokes...

I hope you like the changes to the blog...

What am I thinking today... I'm trying to decide if I have the minerals to act on my inate sense of right and wrong. I am confronted with the knowledge that my current employer has no such moral compunction. I don't want to go into too much detail but it involves me breaking the law. What gets me is that no one at work seems to think this is a big deal. The worst of it is I don't even want the job anymore, I just wanted to finish out the summer and move on. Now he's offered me more work but it involves more shady deals. Chiefly defrauding the government.

So what would you do blow the whistle or just leave?

1 Comments:

Blogger thegermanygirl said...

That's a tough one, Joel. My first reaction is to say that I would do both--blow the whistle AND leave. Of course, not knowing the situation, I don't know if your boss or others might manage to implicate you if you inform the authorities.

However...my sense of discernment between right and wrong still tells me that it would be wrong to keep quiet. Legally, there is such a thing as guilt by association....and ethically, that principle often holds true as well. Like I said, it's a really tough call. I don't envy you the position you've been placed in.

This vaguely reminds me of that conversation we had long ago about whether or not to tell callers that English lessons have something to do with the Bible. Remember that? That wasn't an easy decision either. But I think we both managed. :o)

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home