! Joel Grueberman: Weekend Update again...

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Weekend Update again...

Free at last, free at last...

I have worked what I think is my last day for the Aeration company. My boss wants me to go for lunch with him and discuss the future and make him an offer for next year. I'm really not sure if thats something that I look forward to. To be honest I don't mind the work. I can't say the same for my boss. He and I just don't communicate well. So I think I might just ask for too much money and that'll be the end of it. Unless he accepts... then what will I do? Maybe I will just have to tell him that its been a slice but no thanks.

Having said that, I went to a career fair today. I walked around and pitched myself to about 30 of 150 companies. Despite any rumours that the "Alberta Advantage" is running out they didn't seem to be showing it. I got a couple great responses from two companies that I would really like to work for. So we'll see how it goes.

Nanowrimo..

I went straight from the Career Fair, skipping the opportunity to see George Strombolopolous and whatever enlightened hoo-haa he might have to say, to a gathering of would-be novelists. The meeting was set for a small independent book store up in the old part of Calgary. Which as it turns out is a WIFI location that makes great coffee. Annie's Books hosted the first get-to-gether of the local Nanowrimo participants. Several first timers but all in all many very interesting but also very normal (I know, first impression) people. So now I feel a little better about the monumental task set before me. 50,000 words isn't so bad when you have a support group to shame you into action. I also have a working title: Salad Days

Canadians abroad (both real and imagined) support:

I recently read in Allison's blog that she felt out of the loop on Canadiana. In an effort to combat the ill effects I share some good news. Corner Gas and several other CTV programs are avaliable on the internet as a streaming video. So now you don't have to wait for me to smuggle DVDs into Europe. http://www.ctv.ca/

Ok. I have to go now and find a job. or not so that I can write a novel. Dilema...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home